In the American legal system, cases fall into two primary categories: criminal and civil. Criminal cases are brought against individuals who commit a crime, and charges can include jail time and fines. By contrast, civil cases tend to involve disputes between two or more parties regarding legal responsibilities and duties. Often, the plaintiff hopes to obtain monetary compensation or some other remedy for damages incurred.
At Leventhal Lewis, our attorneys are highly experienced civil litigators. While many civil issues are solved long before trial — and sometimes even before a lawsuit is filled — our award-winning team is prepared to fight for you in court. Our impressive case results are a testament to our dedication, skill, and commitment to our clients.
Examples of Civil Cases
Civil litigation encompasses a wide range of disputes. Because of this, civil attorneys tend to specialize in several specific practice areas.
Our Colorado Springs civil attorneys focus on cases such as:
- Employment law: Workplace mistreatment can take many forms. Examples of employment disputes include wage and hour, overtime, medical leave, employment contracts, severance packages, and DORA complaints.
- Insurance bad faith: Too often, insurance companies delay, reduce, or deny valid claims. You have rights as an insurance consumer. Our team handles first- and third-party bad faith claims, car insurance bad faith, medical insurance bad faith, and other civil claims.
- Legal malpractice: Attorneys have a duty to provide at least the minimum standard of care to their clients. When an attorney fails to do so through error or omission, the client suffers. This is known as legal malpractice. You can file a civil claim against a negligent attorney to seek compensation for your damages.
- Will and estate disputes: Issues that can require litigation include suspicion over the validity of a will or trust, a lack of adequate signatures or witness, and other will, estate, and trust disputes. Probate litigation is often an unfortunate reality. Since these delicate situations often involve heated conflicts between loved ones, they require a civil litigation attorney who is intimately familiar with both conflict resolution and Colorado law.
- Whistleblower litigation: You are legally protected if you decide to speak out against certain types of illegal or unethical behavior at work. Whistleblower cases often involve fraud, discrimination, occupational health and safety violations, wage and hour violations, and other unjust activities.
Do I Need a Civil Litigation Attorney?
If you are considering filing a lawsuit in Colorado, it is in your best interest to arrange a consultation with our civil litigation attorneys. Our sought-after team knows how to evaluate the potential success of your case. Additionally, we can determine if your issue can be handled outside of the courtroom, or if it is better suited to a civil trial.
Our Colorado Springs civil litigation attorneys are well-versed in legal procedures and local laws. We will guide you through every step of the litigation process, including investigation, potential settlement or trial, and even an appeal if necessary. We will act as your fierce advocates, fighting to achieve the best possible outcome on your behalf.
Schedule a Consultation with our Colorado Springs Civil Litigation Attorneys
Learn how our dedicated team can help you with your civil litigation matter. Call 719-694-3000 to arrange your free case evaluation. At Leventhal Lewis, we serve clients from Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Castle Rock, and nearby areas of Colorado.